Camille was out of town for work, and I tended Holland for the day. When I picked her up from school, we drove past Bountiful Park and saw all of these festivities going on. When I told Holland about Summerfest, an international dance festival, she asked if we could stop and see what was going on. I'm so glad that we did! We both enjoyed the experience so much. In fact, Camille and Holland went the next two days.
There were dance groups from Australia, Basques from France, Thailand, Italy, Romania and Bulgaria. They all wore such beautiful costumes. This picture is where the performers paraded up to the stage in the opening ceremonies.
There were dance groups from Australia, Basques from France, Thailand, Italy, Romania and Bulgaria. They all wore such beautiful costumes. This picture is where the performers paraded up to the stage in the opening ceremonies.
Clive Romey, well-known local musician and songwriter performed with his band Manassas, playing Civil War-era music.
All of the performers gathered together to begin the festivities. This stage/shelter was built just a few years ago in Bountiful Park, which made Summerfest so nice!
This is Philip Walley-Stack, a full-blooded aborigine in traditional dress playing the didgeridoo. Their language was never written--it was spoken, painted, or danced.
Holland was just entranced.
Each group shared dances and music of their culture.
We have lived in Centerville/Bountiful for the past 20 years and never attended the festival. From now on, I know that we will make the effort to attend every year. Thanks Holland for getting me to stop the car on that pleasant summer evening in August!



2 comments:
Wow, reminds me of the International Dance Festival at BYU-Idaho. I love to see the neat dances from around the world with all the beautiful costumes. What a great activity for Holland to do with you. Bountiful really does have some great community cultural activities.
izzy would have loved that too! that was really nice of you to stop and let Holland those dancers!
Post a Comment