Monday, May 24, 2010

SPRING IN THE YARD/ST. GEORGE/GRAFTON GHOST TOWN



SPRING HAS SPRUNG
Spring has finally sprung (however, today it snowed)!!  I just love spring and how everything comes to life!  Here's a "little bit of heaven" in our yard last week. 
 ST. GEORGE MAY 21-23, 2010
Doug had to deliver a roll of carpet to Richfield, UT, on Friday, so I went along and we went to see Matt, Andrea, Abby and Rett.  We all had a great weekend!
 Papa Doug and Rett
 Rett with a dill pickle in one hand and a sweet pickle in the other--definitely a new taste sensation!
Papa Doug and Abby with toothpicks in their mouths after our traditional Chuck-a-Rama grandchildren experience !
 On Saturday, we drove to the touristy/artsy town Springdale just outside of Zion National Park where we ate at the Ekins' favorite restaurant, Oscar's, to celebrate Matt's birthday.
 Doug really got into his rack of ribs!
Abby is so sweet with Rett!! 
The scenery is breathtaking even outside of the Park! 
We had fun walking around the shops.  Abby found some windchimes; since I took her picture she wanted me to take some more of her.  So, here they are:


Rett is one healthy baby boy!!! 

Grafton Ghost Town
Just four miles from Springdale is the Grafton Ghost Town.  After the Saints arrived in the Salt Lake Valley, Brigham Young, with the intention of becoming entirely self-sufficient, sent families to different parts of the area to not only establish communities but also missions--wool missions, silk missions and cotton missions.  All cotton needed to grow was flat land and plenty of water.  So, along the Virgin River in Southern Utah was perfect (that's why they call it Dixie).  Grafton was one of those communities.

 With a little preservation, this old adobe school house/church still stands today.  There is a 24-hour camera to prevent vandalism.
The buildings were used in the filming of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. 
The best preserved home with the beautiful redrock backdrop! 

Another home--log cabin 
And a third! 
The cemetery was really interesting... 
...with well-preserved headstones! 
 Notice how some of the cemetery residents died--killed by Indians, diptheria, scarlet fever and by accident (Two girls that were best friends died of a swing accident.).
George Washington Gibson's headstone... 
...June 17, 1800-August 17, 1871. 

Wife of George Washington Gibson 
The Berry family plot in the graveyard! 

Joseph S. Berry, born Dec. 9, 1840, and killed by Indians on April 2, 1866!
 Doug is related to the Pincocks (don't know if this is a relative)!
Even some Indians are buried here--one by the name of Hokum! 
Rows of graves!  Thanks Matt for researching everything and making such a fun day!!!

3 comments:

Laura Copeland said...

What a fun time you all had! I love to see new things and learn more about history. And Matt and Andrea's kids are so darling--how great it is that you got to spend time together. P.S. I love all the flowers in your yard. You really have Mother's green thumb!

The Great Lakes of NY said...

I hope I'm like you someday. I hope I visit all of my children as regularly as you do. It means a lot!

Beverly said...

I love reading your informative blogs. Joyce, you really have an eye for detail and you always travel and share. We learn from reading your comments. The kids look great and their little children are just beautiful. Your yard looks like temple square.