Thursday, May 24, 2012

Tom Filming at Jerusalem Movie Studio
May 16, 2012

We had the incredible experience of watching Tom in action on a special project authorized by the Priesthood Department for curriculum development.  The Church has already filmed 53 vignettes depicting the life of Christ with 47 more to go.  The movie set is an impressive authentic recreation located in Goshen, Utah, about 60 miles south of Salt Lake City.  The set construction covers an area about the size of a football field.  Extensive research went into the building of the set.  

They found a piece of property which was unique because it has lots of hills and valleys, and even has a river that they use as the Jordan River.  It has a sand dune area, groves of trees, gulleys--it has got everything that would lead you to believe you were in Jerusalem.  

Watching Tom film was such a proud moment for Doug and me.  He has the respect and love of all those who work with him.  Here are a few pictures from the filming of Martha hurriedly and emotionally rushing to Jesus and asking him why he didn't come sooner to heal Lazarus so that he wouldn't have died.  Something also that was really special was that after they got the actors in their costumes and makeup, sound set-up, camera almost to "roll", everyone and everything in their/its place--someone gave a beautiful prayer inviting the Spirit  to assist all of those involved to convey the story about Jesus they were trying to recreate.  

Tom and assistants checking out lighting. 

Carter (Camille's new stepson) sitting on the well used in "Woman at the Well."


Director and Tom speaking with Martha, Jesus and two of his disciples.  (When the video is edited, they will remove the snow-capped mountains in the background.)

Jesus and his disciples on their way to see Lazarus.

Hillary and Cohen taking a rest.  Hillary is such a wonderful, supportive wife.

Tom behind the camera!




After the filming of the one scene ended, which went longer than expected, Tom took us on a tour of the movie set.  Since it was rapidly getting dark, I took a few pictures.  It's too bad you all can't  tour the set yourselves.

What's amazing is the set is built out of carved and painted STYROFOAM!















The crosses on Golgotha!  The last set we saw at the end of the day--very humbling!

You can see all of the Bible videos on lds.org.  On the left under Quick Links you will see Bible Videos where you can see so much of the outdoor studio.  I'll send you Tom's video when they edit and make it available.  

4 comments:

Heather Williams said...

That was awesome to see Tom in action!! I'm so proud of that brother of mine. Really, wished I could have experience that too.

Beverly said...

I loved seeing Tom at work. He looks like a Hollywood producer and cameraman with all that staff and equipment. I wish Hollywood produced more wonderful videos like he is working on. Tell him we can't wait to see the final video.

Laura Copeland said...

Fantastic photography by Tom. I always love to see his work. We are looking forward to seeing his final work in this production, too! It't amazing that he is doing absolutely his favorite thing and getting paid for it, plus benefitting so many others, all at once! So great!

Hillary Garner said...

Thanks Joyce for documenting our adventure so well! I had my hands full and didn't take a single picture so I'm glad you took so many! It was so nice of all of you to make the trip to see Tom and I know it meant a lot to him!