MEMORIAL DAY - May 31, 2010
My sister Natalie and I drove to Rexburg the Friday before Memorial Day to help our father decorate Mother's grave, along with our other relatives. Here are pictures of the family headstones that I thought some of you would enjoy seeing since you live so far away (especially Alison).
Mother's headstone in Rexburg Cemetery
Back of headstone
My mother's parents' (my grandparents) headstone in Fielding Memorial Park in Idaho Falls. My father is so sweet to carry on the tradition of decorating their graves--something he always did with Mother.
Dad with my niece Brooke
Dad with my sister Natalie and cute children, Brooke and Nathan
My grandparents' headstone in Rexburg Cemetery...
...along with their little stillborn baby's grave.
My great-grandparents grave also in the Rexburg Cemetery.
Headstone of cousin of my great-grandmother's who lived with her and she took care of for years. He was mentally challenged.
Grave of one-month old baby of my great grandparents (their fourth child)
Hope all of you had a wonderful Memorial Day!!!
Hope all of you had a wonderful Memorial Day!!!



6 comments:
This is such a great post, Joyce. I am forwarding this to my kids because they probably have not had an opportunity to see these headstones. I particularly didn't know that Mary and Joseph had a cousin live with them so she could care for him. Very touching. Thanks for these photos.
Thanks for doing that Mom... glad you got to be there to visit Grandma's grave and be with Grandpa to help decorate. He looks great... can't believe he's 87?!
Oh, this was precisely the thing to do--I loved seeing all of the headstones since I couldn't be there in person. Thanks for the thoughtful idea of posting these!
Mom, thanks for your last comment, that made me feel really good. I'm so glad you felt comfortable in our home, that's how I want people to feel. Thank you for taking these pictures, we have an amazing heritage.
Can't wait to see you again.
That's cool that you did that, Mom, drove all that way to do what you helped Grandpa do. I Love you and miss you!
Joyce--thank you so much for that post. We didn't have memorial day here, so I loved being able to see the grave sites of our relatives, and even get some history behind them. I love that the cemetary always seems so crisp and green. I know that meant so much to Grandpa for you and Natalie to be there with him to decorate Grandma's grave on that special day. You are always thinking of others!! Thanks Joyce!
Post a Comment