Saturday, June 9, 2012

RITA'S ENDOWMENT SESSION/
HOGLE ZOO

Rita is now 26 years old and has wanted to take out her temple endowments for a few years.  Her bishop and stake president consented (I think the Church now wants girls to either go on a mission or get married first.  If not, they have them wait a while.).  So, on Thursday, May 31, Doug, Camille, Andrea and I attended the 1:00 p.m. session in the Bountiful Temple with Rita, her friend (an older girl) from Taiwan who has received her own endowments several years ago, and Rita's roommate.  Hillary wanted to attend but she and Elsie got sick.  Rita was just thrilled that this day had finally come.  

Rita has been such a blessing in our family's lives.  She truly has a very bright countenance and is so obedient.  She also has worked extremely hard at her studies and will graduate with a Master's Degree in teaching Mandarin Chinese in June.  BYU will employ Rita as a full-time teacher through all of next year.  She has been teaching classes as a teacher's assistant for two or three years already.  

I'm sorry I didn't take any pictures, but we will be celebrating at a later time.

-------------------------------


HOGLE ZOO--

Andrea, Rett and Abigail drove up from St. George so that Andrea could be with Rita during this special time.  After I served at the Church Museum on Friday, Camille, Scott and kids, Hillary and her kids and I all went to Hogle Zoo.  The kids rode the fun carousel together.  They rode on the back of animals that are representative of actual animals in the zoo--Tanner on the wolf, Rett on the seal and Cohen on the penguin...

...Adelyn on the bald eagle...

...and Elsie on the new polar bear!

The kids had fun seeing the animals (Rhinos in the background) but especially enjoyed being together with their cousins--Rett, Elsie, Abigail and Adelyn!

Rett and Cohen are just seven days apart in age.

All of the kids, except Tanner--Carter and Holland on top and Cohen, Rett, Elsie, Abigail and Adelyn on bottom.

Carter was a good sport to pose in the eagle's nest.

On the morning of the day we attended, June 1, the zoo opened a new 18-million dollar exhibit, "Rocky Shores," which features animals and habitats of northwest North America.  The exhibit includes a 14-year old polar bear, seals, otters, grizzly bears and several bald eagles.  These employees are working with some of the otters.


This is a picture of the polar bear swimming in controlled 52-degree water in the environmental immersion zoo design where visitors can view the animals through glass as they swim.

After the bear's swim, he is walking back to the shade.



Scott and Camille

A tiger taking his afternoon nap.

Taking an ice cone break


Andrea and her kids on the "Do You Measure Up" area outside the gorilla exhibit.  I have all kinds of pictures of Andrea and her siblings in this same pose when Doug and I visited Hogle Zoo with our children when they were young!  It's fun now to see our grandchildren doing the same thing.





We all had such a fun afternoon at the zoo!  We missed the crowds that had been there in the morning for the grand opening of the new exhibit.  I'm sure we will go again.
-------------------------

3 comments:

Ang said...

My kids are still talking about the zoo! I think it will have to be a new tradition at least once a year. Thanks for a fun few days together!

Laura Copeland said...

Joyce, you and Doug and your family have been such a wonderful "second" family to Rita. I know what a great influence you all have been on her, and vice-versa. She really is a special young woman who Doug recognized the minute he saw her, right? Anyway, congratulations to Rita for getting her endowments. Also, you know how much I love zoos! Next time I come to Utah, we must go to the zoo and take our grandkids together. They have really built that zoo up--it looks so fun!

Alison Wilde said...

I MUST meet Rita!! I would absolutely LOVE if I could attend some of her classes. What a fabulous day that must have been. Chinese conversions are close to my heart.